We now offer in person or virtual consultations. Please don’t hesitate to call us if you have any questions!

Child Support in Suffolk County

Ensuring Your Family is Provided for to the Best of Your Abilities

In the State of New York, child support is generally paid by the non-custodial parent for the financial support, maintenance, and education of his or her children. It includes expenses such as health insurance, child care, and other basic needs of the child.

If a non-custodial parent refuses to pay child support, the court can enforce payment through:

  • A court order
  • Judgment
  • Contempt of court
  • Garnishment of wages
  • Wage deduction
  • Property liens

Declaring personal bankruptcy does not eliminate child support payments that are owed or behind in payment.

This support can begin in the beginning stages of the separation process in which case temporary child support and maintenance may be awarded. The child support would continue until the child reaches the age of 21. The amount of child support paid is calculated according to the New York State Child Support Standards Act Guidelines. Tables are established which compare the gross income of both parents along with any deductions which may be applicable. If at any point in time, either party experiences a significant change in circumstances or if their income increases or decreases by more than 15%, each spouse may seek a child support modification.

Are you in need of child support?

There are often times when individuals need child support due to a divorce situation. Parents that are separating must determine who will pay for what and decide how to help pay for things their child needs so that they can have a comfortable life.

In some cases, however, there is no father around and the mother of a child is in desperate need of financial support. These single parents can contact the Child Support Enforcement (CSE) program in order to find out who the legal father of the child could be. If paternity can be determined, then the court may enforce child support payments on him to assist the single mother in need.

If you have found yourself in a desperate place and need financial compensation in order to properly raise your child, our firm may be able to help. We can work with you to determine child support modifications from your current divorce settlement or we can establish a support order against the father of your child.

How can we be of assistance?

As with any legal matter, it is important to consult with an attorney about the specifics of your child support matter so that the appropriate legal action can be initiated to resolve your issue. Family lawyer Lynn Poster-Zimmerman has practiced law since 1983 and can provide experienced and skilled legal assistance with any family law issue, including child support.

She concentrates on family law matters and, because our firm is a small, intimate one, we offer personal and responsive attention to all our clients. Call today at (631) 731-1042!

Request Your Initial Consultation

When it comes to issues involving your marriage, children, or any family problem it can be both emotionally and physically trying. Our firm is prepared to assist you the best way we can, so fill out the form below or call us at (631) 731-1042.

    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
      Please enter your phone number.
    • This isn't a valid email address.
      Please enter your email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.
Put Us On Your Side