We now offer in person or virtual consultations. Please don’t hesitate to call us if you have any questions!

Modification Proceedings

How a Suffolk County Divorce Lawyer Can Help

After a divorce, you may be in need of a modification of your current court order. There are many life changes that can take place that may demand a significant shift in the current child custody, child support, visitation, or spousal support orders. This is understandable, however, and can be handled with the legal assistance of a Suffolk County matrimonial attorney. It is important, however, to not take matters into your own hands but to obtain legal representation and guidance for the entire circumstance. If you wish to modify a court order, you will need to file a motion with the Supreme Court or a petition in Family Court. It is essential to speak with our Suffolk County divorce lawyer from Lynn Poster-Zimmerman, PC today!

It is understood that life is constantly changing and a new job opportunity or a decrease in pay may make it necessary to alter the current court order to better suit your needs. Your chance of a successful outcome is far greater with a legal team beside you to walk you through the steps and help you understand your rights. Prior to addressing the court with your request, we suggest you speak with an attorney to develop an accurate evaluation of your case and the likelihood of receiving a modification. It is also important to know how your court order can affect your relationship with the child or children involved.

Common Reasons for Modification

Many different scenarios may require a modification. The attorney at our firm can help you know how it can be accomplished. The most basic types of modifications are for the following types of court orders:

  • Child support
  • Child custody
  • Visitation
  • Spousal support

There may be unexpected setbacks in your life that may prevent you from meeting your support obligations. On the other hand, you may find yourself in a situation requiring increased support from your ex-spouse. These changes may include unexpected medical or educational costs, a change in income of either party or the loss or promotion of a job. If you believe that your child support, spousal support, visitation or child custody order is no longer feasible, it is important to speak with a lawyer at once. Also, if you are the custodial parent and your child has unexpected educational or medical costs, it is important to ensure that your child's needs are being met.

No matter what life circumstance may have changed, you should take immediate action to speak with an attorney. At Lynn Poster-Zimmerman, PC, we understand the difficulty you may be facing with a changed financial situation or the necessity of moving. If you are looking to make a modification, it is important to speak with our Suffolk County divorce lawyers at your earliest convenience!

Contact us today to begin the process of modifying your existing court order.

Request Your Initial Consultation

When it comes to issues involving your marriage, children, or any family problem it can be both emotionally and physically trying. Our firm is prepared to assist you the best way we can, so fill out the form below or call us at (631) 731-1042.

    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
      Please enter your phone number.
    • This isn't a valid email address.
      Please enter your email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.
Put Us On Your Side