We now offer in person or virtual consultations. Please don’t hesitate to call us if you have any questions!

Family Court Act

As the years go on, certain laws become archaic and desperately need changing to make way for the shifting demands of the public. Family law is one such arena where change is often desired and welcomed with open arms when it does occur. Several years ago, the court modified the law governing child support orders and it has since benefitted countless families throughout the U.S.

The Family Court Act of 2010 revised the way child support orders can be adjusted. If you're currently making child support payments, you may find that you and your children would profit from the change. Keep reading to learn more about what the act means for you!

What is the Family Court Act?

The year the Family Court Act was passed was also the year that no-fault divorce became legal in New York. It was clearly a big year for family law and improvements. Current acts continue to be made as the needs arise.

Most specifically, the Family Court Act included two new ways for parents to seek a modification to their child support orders. In years past, a significant change was one of the only ways to receive modified orders but the Family Court Act changes all that.

A parent may now file a modification petition with the court if three years have passed since the order was last created or changed or if a 15% income change has occurred for either parent.

It is important to note that this act gives the court the ability to require the non-custodial parent to look for employment if they are without a job when the child support order is modified. This has never previously been the case for those looking for a modification.

At the Law Office of Lynn Poster-Zimmerman, PC, you will find a staff that is dedicated to serving your needs every step of the way. Contact the firm's Suffolk divorce attorney for personalized legal counsel!


Request Your Initial Consultation

When it comes to issues involving your marriage, children, or any family problem it can be both emotionally and physically trying. Our firm is prepared to assist you the best way we can, so fill out the form below or call us at (631) 731-1042.

    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
      Please enter your phone number.
    • This isn't a valid email address.
      Please enter your email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.
Put Us On Your Side